Forget about making the broth from scratch, not that the “ajinomoto” was omitted, when I wanted to cook it, I knew this wasn’t something healthy that one should eat it on weekly basis, at most once biweekly. So, yes, I was doing it the “shortcut way”, so easy that only 4⃣ ingredients was used. That’s me! No wasting is the way to go. (Don’t tell me by buying the items to make the broth is cheaper, it is not and I know they will end up in the bin as I will not use them frequently.)
As for the meat, I used collar shabu shabu, I found it less fatty than sukiyaki (meat), 400-500gm approx. $7-$14 (kurobuta pork). Same price as beef shabu shabu. (Just in case you wanna know.) sukiyaki sauce is about $8/bottle (I used 1/3), togarashi is $3+.
- 300gm shabu shabu pork collar
- slightly less than half a (Chinese) bowl of sukiyaki sauce
- half a (Chinese) bowl of water
- one brown onion/yellow onion, sliced
- Pour everything in a pot and bring to boil.
- Add meat only when onion well cooked. (high heat)
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice.
I served with togarashi, jap chili pepper. 👍👍👍👍
Ben and Asher both love Pork Donburi so much and gave me 💯.